Pou Ture - Legal Counsel
Tēnei te reo, tēnei te karanga kia pāoho atu ki te motu whānui. Mena ka ngau i te paepae poto, i te paepae roa o te rākau ture, tonoa mai mō tēnei tūranga.
Based in Whakatū (Nelson), Aotearoa, Wakatū Incorporation has approximately 4,000 owners who descend from the customary Māori landowners, the whānau and hapū of the Whakatū, Motueka and Mōhua rohe. A business of the land and the sea, Wakatū has four parts: Manaaki, people and culture; Whenua, land and water space; Kono, an award-winning food and drinks producer and exporter; and AuOra a consumer-focused, health-solutions business.
A values-led organisation focused on the preservation and enhancement of our taonga, we have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced, forward-thinking Lawyer to provide advice and expertise across Wakatū Group, at the corporate and governance levels.
Passionate and tightly knit, our corporate governance and legal team report to and work closely with the CEO, ensuring our work is of the highest quality, and in alignment with our 500-year intergenerational vision, Te Pae Tawhiti.
About the role
This Nelson-based role sits within the office of the Chief Executive, reporting to the CEO and General Counsel. This key role has both an internal and external advice and advocacy focus and works across a broad range of practice areas, including commercial, land, environmental and employment law.
Key priorities of the role include:
- Providing sound legal advice and expertise across all areas of Wakatū Group at the corporate and governance level
- Representing Wakatū Group and any related subsidiaries and wholly-owned entities externally at all legal proceedings, and overseeing the management and delivery of external services on behalf of Wakatū Group
- Being a key liaison with regards to shareholder matters, the share register, and assisting the CEO with all governance and matters relating to the SGM and AGM
- Managing and overseeing the Group's legal, compliance and other obligations around legacy issues and litigation and administration
- Working closely with the General Counsel to provide governance advice, in relation to board and committee meetings, including overseeing the work of associates and partner entities.
You will be a knowledgeable and experienced lawyer who is calm under pressure, with strong interpersonal and communication skills. Good knowledge of and commitment to te ao Māori - culture, language and tikanga is desirable.
In addition, our ideal candidate will have:
- 5 + years relevant experience in a similar role or practice areas
- A sound understanding of commercial law or corporate law, as well as general knowledge and/or experience across other practice areas
- Strong communication skills and experience working with senior governance and management teams and/or working within a large and or complex organisation
- A strategic mindset
- A strong values base, that resonates with the values of Wakatū.
This is an exciting, broad and varied role, and a unique opportunity to do important and stimulating mahi within a values-led organisation. There is the opportunity for growth and significant professional and career development. In return, you'll work as part of a talented team in an organisation committed to the wellbeing of its people, as well as a diverse and inclusive workforce.
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
Nau mai, piki mai!
Applications close on Sunday 1 August 2021.